Got a plan for Valentine’s Day?
Whether you are starting from scratch or you want to make your gift more special, here are 7 quick and easy gift ideas and sweet gestures that can have even the most unprepared person going from zero to hero this Valentine’s Day.
Idea 1: Start their Valentine’s Day with Lots of Love
Let your significant other, your kids, or that friend who’s always there for you, know how much they mean to you the morning of Valentine’s Day. Even the “I’m-not-a-morning” person will smile if you:
- Post a sticky note on their alarm clock reading, “Good Morning Sunshine! I love you!”
- Leave a note by their morning coffee mug or make the breakfast table a little more special than usual
- Leave some Hershey’s kisses or Sweethearts on the seat of their car or their chair
Idea 2: In your gift, detail the reasons WHY your Valentine is loved
Go one step beyond “I love you” and provide a reason WHY you love them or HOW they have made a difference in your life.
Whether typed or handwritten, delivered in person or by text, you can:
- Make a list of the 5 (or more!) reasons you love them
- Share your 5 (or more!) happiest memories together
- Write a love note letting them know what captivated you when you first met or that very special moment when you realized you loved them
Idea 3: Build the Excitement for Your Dinner, Show or Other Valentine’s Experience
Remember when you were a kid and you couldn’t wait for Christmas morning?
Turns out we never outgrow that sensation.
Research shows that one of the reasons why experiences may be enjoyed more than physical gifts is because people love thinking about the upcoming event and the pleasure they will derive from it.
You can put this into practice easily by:
- Start a countdown…”Only 24 more hours until we are enjoying a fabulous dinner at Chez Fabulous”…”Only 12 more hours…” You get the idea.
- Share a small gift that hints at the fun ahead: If you’re taking your sweetie wine tasting for the day, gift a few chocolates with a note, “Bet these will taste fabulous with some merlot.”
- Preview the plan: If you have tickets to a music event, record a snippet of one of the performer’s songs and text it to your special someone, “Bet they’ll sound even better live!”
Idea 4: Make Their Favorite Food for Valentine’s Day, Even if They Like Brussel Sprouts
On the sweetest of holidays, there are an endless number of options for incorporating food into the celebration.
It’s not entirely about the taste of the food, it’s the knowledge that your loved one did something out of the ordinary for the simple reason that it would make you smile.
- Heart-shaped foods have been proven to make people smile-Technically, this hasn’t been proven yet, but I’ve seen more than one curmudgeon smile at heart-shaped cookies or brownies. Heck, you could even make a heart shape out of a few pieces of bacon…and who doesn’t love bacon?
- Favorite treat-remember that old adage, “The best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” Turns out the same is true of women! Whether it’s dark chocolate, coconut (my personal favorite!) or a pint of Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia, make or buy their favorite treat.
- Heart healthy-if your sweetie is avoiding sweets, make their favorite dish of brussel sprouts or lentils or whatever the latest kale dish is. When you serve it, grab a Sharpie and write a special message on the edge of a plate. (Don’t worry!—it comes off with soap and water.)
Idea 5: Gifts Ideas that Include Valentines Quotes, Songs and Other Sweet Words
- Share your sweetest thoughts or borrow one of these unforgettable quotes. Who cares if the words were first uttered by Emerson and not you? It just matters that you took the time to share it. You could:
- Write a note
- Write a sexy message in lipstick on the bathroom mirror
- Send a text…and then another…and another for a very happy welcome home
- Cut out a paper heart and doodle away
- Make a Word Cloud out of your favorite poem or song lyrics-I must confess, I adore WordClouds and technology has made them easier than ever to make. Kudos to WordArt for an incredibly easy-to-use site that offers lots of flexibility.
Sweet Jiminy Cricket! I didn’t realize Valentine’s Day was tomorrow!
Pressed for time and/or money? Did you just realize you need a gift within the next 15 minutes? (Yep, we’ve all been there!) Get something that speaks to the possibilities ahead.
- Grab a few scratch-off lottery tickets at the nearest gas station and gift them with a note saying what you’d love to do if they won
- Get an iTunes gift card (easily found in grocery store, a gas station or on Amazon) and put together a list of a few special songs that have meaning to the two of you. Tell your sweetie you can’t wait to enjoy them together, and maybe even dance the night away.
- Grab a blank notebook/notepad (also found in the grocery store, office store, gas station or on Amazon) and draw a big giant heart with your names in it. Yes, it may seem juvenile, but in this increasingly digital world, a handwritten doodle is even more charming.
Valentine’s Day comes just once a year. Don’t forget to let your loved ones know how much you care on the other 364 days of the year. I promise, it will make YOUR life a whole lot sweeter.